Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Go To Bread Recipe

We eat a lot of bread.  I have tried so many recipes and lately this one is the go to recipe for our family.  I have made it half whole wheat and 100% whole wheat (with a bit of added vital wheat gluten) but more often than not I just make it like it is.  Its a bread stick recipe but I use it for almost everything.  I am posting the original and you can alter as your heart desires.



Bread Sticks

2 1/4 tsp yeast (or 1 packet)
4 1/4 cups flour
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt (I use kosher)

Topping
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder (I use granulated garlic)
pinch of oregano

Put 1/4 cup warm water in a bowl and add yeast.  Set aside for 5 minutes.  Add flour, salt, sugar, butter, and 1 1/4 plus 2 Tbsp warm water.  Mix 5 minutes.  Knead 3 minutes.  Roll into 2 ft log and cut into 16 half inch pieces.  Knead each piece and roll into 7 inch long breadstick.  Cover and rise for 45 mins.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Brush with half the butter and  some of the salt, in seperate bowl combine remaining spices and salt for topping.  Bake 15 minutes or till golden, while warm brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with spices.
 


I make this into dinner rolls by shaping into a roll.  I have also made loaf bread, cinnamon rolls, cinnamon swirl bread, and pretzels with this dough.  Enjoy!




No comments: